The Chinese drone manufacturer DJI has introduced its new handy drone, the DJI Mavic Pro. Recently, I have reported on the GoPro Karma and left out positive. Of course, I do not want to take that back, but with regard to the DJI Mavic Pro I have to express myself even more positively. To anticipate a dispute between the DJI and the GoPro camp: both drones have their advantages and their target groups. In deciding for or against one of the models, you just have to know the future fields of application …
DJI Mavic Pro at Amazon: order via Prime
The DJI Mavic Pro: data and facts of the drone
In this quadrocopter DJI has really thought and knows the GoPro karma to oppose something. In addition to navigation and stabilization through GPS and Glonass, the DJI Mavic Pro also comes with sensors that scan the environment forwards and downwards. So a safe flight indoors is no longer a problem. In addition, the device can be folded together with rotors to a handy level. The manufacturer describes the size of the folded device with a bottle of water. Casey Neistat shows that it fits in your pocket too
Specifications and further information at a glance
- Dimensions (folded): 8.3 x 8.3 x 19.8 cm.
- Maximum distance (without obstacles): 4.3 miles or 7 kilometers.
- Maximum speed: 40 miles per hour or 64 kilometers per hour.
- Maximum flight time or battery life: 27 minutes (GoPro Karma: 20 minutes).
- Recording of 4K video, stabilized by gimbal with 3 axes.
- GPS, Glonass and sensors for optimal alignment, flight safety and safe evasion behavior.
- Settings such as object tracking u. Ä. By finger gestures on the smartphone display possible.
- Gesture Mode for Selfie Friends: gesture recognition for automatically capturing images.
- Connectivity between smartphone and operation via Wi-Fi possible.
- Control unit with smartphone holder and separate display with displays for speed, radio signal, battery power, GPS transmission strength, etc.
- DJI Mavic Pro: advantages over the GoPro Karma.
Although the DJI Mavic Pro brings no removable camera with handheld gimbal and the like, but a longer flight time and a smaller pack size. In addition, the control unit is more compact; Although you still need a smartphone with DJI GO app, but the division into LCD display and smartphone makes the operation of the drone a lot easier – you have all the data at a glance. In addition, DJI already offers numerous spare parts, which are also affordable. So if you crash the quadrocopter despite distance sensors and GPS, you can restore it cheaply.
GoPro Karma Drone: Advantages over the DJI Mavic Pro
As already mentioned, both drones have their convincing advantages. Which target group is served by the GoPro Karma? Those who want to use the camera (eg GoPro HERO5 Black) in the hand, on the tripod or in the water. Even those who do not want to introduce a smartphone for the controller, will be satisfied with the control unit including display at the GoPro Karma. And you do not need an extra handheld gimbal if you have the karma. Priced both drones are also comparable.
Conclusion and comparison in the video
If you only want a drone and do not want a GoPro or a handheld gimbal, you should use the DJI Mavic Pro. The official site of the DJI online shop with all the information and the opportunity to buy can be found here . With this device you get a longer flight time, a clearer and easier operation, a smaller pack size and a comprehensive obstacle detection (up to 15 meters away). So many criticisms speak for the DJI Mavic Pro. Here is a comparison with the GoPro Karma in Videoform:
And here is the extensive video of Casey Neistat incl. View of the drone, their features, the control unit and, above all: including video recordings of the DJI Mavic Pro :