Learn to avoid or remove malicious Mac Defender software on Mac OS X v10.6 or earlier.
A scam targeted at Mac users redirects them from legitimate websites to fake websites that inform them that their computer is infected with a virus. The user is offered an “antivirus” software called “Mac Defender” to solve the problem.
This “antivirus” software is actually “malware” (malicious software). Its ultimate purpose is to obtain information from the user’s credit card, which could subsequently be used for fraudulent purposes.
The most common names are: “MacDefender”, “MacProtector” and “MacSecurity”.
Apple has released a free software update ( Security Update 2011-003 ) that automatically finds and removes malicious software Mac Defender and its known variants.
In addition, the Resolution section includes step-by-step instructions for manually preventing or deleting this malicious software.
Tip : mackeeper is best software to scan virus in your Macbook.
How to avoid installing this malicious software
If you encounter any notification about viruses or security software, close Safari or any other browser you are using. If you can not exit the browser in the usual way, force the output .
In some cases, your browser could automatically download and run the installer of this malicious software. If you see yourself in this situation, cancel the installation process. Do not enter your administrator password. Erase the installer immediately by following the steps below.
- Go to the Downloads folder or your main download location.
- Drag the installer to the Trash.
- Empty the bin.
How to remove this malicious software
If malware has been installed, we recommend that you do the following:
- Do not enter your credit card information under any circumstances.
- Follow the removal steps below.
- Move or close the Browse window.
- Go to the Utilities folder, in the Applications folder, and run Activity Monitor.
- Select All Processes from the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of the window.
- In the Process Name column, find the name of the application and click to select it. The most common app names are “MacDefender”, “MacProtector” or “MacSecurity”.
- Click the Exit Process button in the upper left corner of the window and select Exit.
- Exit the Activity Monitor application.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Locate the app, p. MacDefender “,” MacSecurity “,” MacProtector “or another name.
- Drag it to the Trash and empty the Trash.
Malicious software also installs a boot item in your account, under System Preferences. You do not need to delete the boot item, but you can do this by following these steps:
- Open System Preferences, select Accounts, and then select Startup.
- Select the name of the app you deleted in the previous steps, p. Eg “MacDefender”, “MacSecurity”, “MacProtector”.
- Click the minus button.
Refer to the steps in the “How to avoid installing this malicious software” section above to remove the installer from the download location.